Hungarian Journalist Faces Jail For Kicking Syrian Refugees



Photo journalist Petra Laszlo, who was caught tripping and kicking Syrian refugees on camera near the border village of Roszke, is now facing criminal charges of “violence against a member of the community”, which is punishable by five years in prison. Laszlo was earlier fired by her employer, N1TV – a nationalist news company associated with Hungary’s far-right Jobbik party hostile to immigration of all kinds – calling her behaviour “unacceptable”.
In one clip, Laszlo is seen kicking a young girl who runs past her. In another, she is seen tripping Osama Abdel-Muhsen Alghadab causing him to fall on top of his seven-year-old, Zaid. The incidents occurred when hundreds of refugees—mainly Syrians fleeing civil war—ran from a “collection point” in Roszke near the Hungary-Serbia border.
Hungarian prosecutors said a criminal case for breach of the peace had been opened against her. Sandor Toro, the deputy chief prosecutor of Csongrád County, said, “In the course of the investigation, the authorities will also examine if more serious crimes can be established.”

http://twitter.com/MyMulticast/status/641713519809949696/photo/1

After receiving widespread condemnation for her act, Laszlo apologized.
“I was filming with a camera, a few hundred migrants broke the cordon and one ran into me. I got scared. They were flowing to my direction and then something just broke inside of me. With the camera in my hand I didn’t see who is actually running towards me. I just felt I have to defend myself.
“It’s hard to make good decisions when one person is in panic and hundreds of people are running in your direction. And I wasn’t able to make a good decision at that moment. I’m not a heartless, racist, children-kicking camerawoman. I do not deserve the political witch-hunts against me, nor the smears or the death threats. I’m just an unemployed mother of small children, who made a bad decision. I am truly sorry,” she said in a letter to the rightwing daily newspaper Magyar Nemzet.
hungary-journo
“There were thousands of people and they were holding us there until a coach came to take us to the border. It was a very small area with a huge crowd. People started to lose patience and wanted to walk the 10km to the border – the police were standing there to stop people going. It was chaotic, people started to push. I didn’t see where it came from; I didn’t know if it was a camerawoman or a policeman. I just felt myself falling to the ground,” Alghadab told MailOnline, adding, “How can I forgive her?”

0 comments: